Thursday, January 06, 2005

Surviving the Flu

Well its snowing like crazy over here. School's been cancelled for the kids and I'm hoping for a phone call saying that my gym won't be opening either. For the first time since Monday I don't feel like poop. I've done the achy, can't breathe, dizzy, just let me lie here in a pile thing for the last two days. Interestingly, I've also taught all my aerobics classes the last two days as well (go ahead, call me a nut job, I deserve it.) Of course after teaching, I went home and put myself to bed for several hours and I know the wierd tingly sensation that I had yesterday while teaching wasn't normal sweating. I should have called in sick.

Here's my theory on the whole experience because I know the flu should hit you harder than it hit me. First of all, I got it from my 80 something year old neighbor who also kept moving throughout his bought with it. He may be the spriest little old man you could ever meet. He was 82 when I first met him and standing on someone's roof clearing snow. We could all learn a lesson from him.

I really think the main reason that I'm not still in bed is based largely on my lifestyle. I'm a fitness instructor (no I don't love to exercise but at least I get paid to be in shape!) and I teach at least four days of the week, sometimes five. Ironically, the only time I felt fairly good was when I was teaching class. I could breathe better and I didn't feel achy. I think my diet makes a huge difference, no dairy to increase mucous production (believe me I had plenty without), no processed foods, garlic and other spices to clear stuffiness, and drinking lots of plain old water.

There's a soup recipe that was in Vegetarian Times, I shudder to think how many years ago, but its loaded with garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper to help clear you up. I make it every time one of us starts getting really congested.

The main flaw with my lifestyle when I get sick like this, is food preparation. Since I make most everything from scratch, I still had to drag myself out of bed to cook. Its not that my hubby wouldn't help, he just is lost when it comes to cooking from scratch, besides he doesn't mind doing dishes which I despise!I'm planning to cook some emergency food and stash it in the freezer for times like this. If I'd have had some soups, stews or casseroles in the freezer, I could have put them in the crock pot and not had to think about it.

I'm just glad to feel better.

No comments: