Saturday, June 11, 2005

Teacher Gifts

It's that time of year when we need to think about saying thank you to our children's teachers. One thing I know for sure, no teacher needs another coffee mug or desktop trinket. How have I learned this valuable tidbit? In my own experiences teaching my preschool nutrition program, I discovered how quickly mugs and baubles accumulate. Also, both of my sister-in-laws are teachers and they confirmed my suspicion. So what do you give a teacher who made a difference in your child's world?

When time runs short, I'm a big fan of everyone in the class chipping in and presenting the teacher with the cash or sometype of universal gift certificate. If you want it to be aesthetically pleasing, make a money tree. Take a branch from your yard, I've seen them spray painted silver but its certainly not a requirement and anchor it in something to make it stand up. Fan fold the cash and ties it to the branches with brightly colored ribbon and you're done.

I'm a big fan of edibles when time permits. I've made the donut recipe from while back, put in a loaf of pumpkin bread and created a breakfast basket for the morning after school ends. Add in some coffee or tea and you're done. The teachers I did that for really liked getting up the next morning and not having to think about breakfast for their kids.

The teachers at the preschool where I do my nutrition program, love flowers. Yesterday I picked a huge bouquet of roses from my garden to give them along with a handmade candle each. Each year they give me a beautiful bouquet of flowers. For next year, I'm going to try something I read in The Complete Tightwad Gazette. I'm taking the roses from the bouquet and attempting to root them. If all goes well I'll have three small rose bushes for them (there are three teachers) this time next year.

I've also done cross stitched ornaments and bookmarks in the past. No matter what you decide to do, planning is the key to keeping it frugal.

No comments: