Saturday, August 13, 2005

My Curtain Project

Looking ahead to the fall and winter the heating bills promise to be high. In an effort to decrease heat loss, which is really money loss, I'm working on a set of insulated curtains for my sons' room.

I got the idea from the book Quick and Easy Quilting by Bonnie Leman. Its from 1972 but its got some really good basic info which is what I was looking for. It mentioned window quilts which were commonly used to keep rooms warmer in the winter. I like the idea and changed it to suit my needs and the supplies I had on hand or could get cheaply.

I'm using a set of heavy cotton king size sheets that I got for $3 at the thrift store. (I had specifically bought these to use for curtains.) The sheet fabric will be the front of the curtain that you see from the room. For the backing and to provide the insulation, I'm using old fleece blankets.

I've already cut and pinned the first one. The most important thing now is to make sure that all the other panels match, especially in length.

No comments: