Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Hints for Easier Food Storage

Last night's CSA pickup (check the archives for the Thursday, May 26th entry for more info on CSA) was HUGE!! My kitchen table is covered in veggies. The down side is I have a lot of work to do today, some freezing and some canning. I'm making a huge batch of White Beans and Tomatoes for dinner, almost half will go in the freezer for a quick fall/winter meal.

When freezing foods, think about the amounts you need to use in recipes. For example, my pumpkin bread recipe calls for one cup of pumpkin puree. I usually make four at a time, so I either freeze my pumpkin (winter squash can be used in place of pumpkin in most recipes) in 4 cup or 2 cup containers. Doing the measuring now saves me time and waste later.

The same idea applies to canning. For our family of 6, a pint jar doesn't go very far. For us, it makes more sense to can in quarts.

No comments: