Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Kindergarten Potluck

My youngest son's kindergarten class had an alphabet potluck on Thursday. My son, Kyle, had to bring a dish that starts with the letter K because his name started with a K. To top it all off, I had to have it all put together the night before so Jim could just heat it up. There was no way I'd be back from training in time to put this together.

We decided to use kidney beans to cover the "K" needs of the assignment. The potluck was Thursday. I cooked them in the crock pot overnight on Tuesday. Wednesday evening, I chopped one can of olives and a few bunches of fresh broccoli (into very small trees or squares). I added a huge amount of very mild salsa. I drained the beans and mixed it all together in a microwave safe dish with cover (remember this had to be transported.) I made the exact same mixture in the crockpot for the people who weren't going to the potluck.

About a half hour before the potluck, Jim microwaved the mixture. BTW, the reason we opted for microwaving rather than just using the crock pot was because the broccoli get brownish when cooked long term with tomato. We were already serving kidney beans to the McDonald's set, we couldn't sacrafice eye appeal as well.

We labeled our creation, Kyle's Kidney Bean Surprise. It was a big hit with our family and it went over fairly well at the potluck. The most important opinion to me was Kyle's. He thought it was "YUMMY!"

2 comments:

Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

I'm glad the potluck dish was a success. Isn't it great when we can get our kids to eat beans and actually like it? That's one of my challenges right now.
btw, I don't think I've visited your blog before.

Katie said...

Welcome!
I'm lucky, my kids are so used to beans, nothing phases them.