Friday, April 21, 2006

A Simple & Successful Breakfast and Dessert

Yesterday, I made some fancy oatmeal for breakfast. It was a big hit with everyone. Here's the recipe:

In a microwave safe bowl combine:
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 Tbs flaxseed meal
1 Tbs sunflower seeds

Pour in:
soymilk (We made some with vanilla and some with plain but both tasted good. As for how much soymilk to use, this is a personal choice. My kids like it with varying amounts. You need to put in at least enough to cover the oatmeal mixture completely.)

Sprinkle cinnamon over the top and microwave for about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. You can always add more soymilk now if it seems to dry.

The dessert was a strawberry ice cream that took about 3 minutes to make. I used my Vita-Mix but i'd imagine another high powered blender would work as well. Here's the recipe:

Place the following in a blender:
1 1/2 cups soymilk (we used a mixture of plain and vanilla)
3 unsulphured dried pinappple rings

Blend until pineapple is ground up. In retrospect I think I should have soaked the pineapple to make this easier on my blender. It also would have given me a smoother, less gritty end product.

Add:
1 10 oz bag of frozen organic strawberries
1 Tbs vanilla sugar

Blend until combined. If using a Vita-Mix, use the tamper to press food into blades. For other machines, turn off blender, scrape down sides and blend a little more. That's it, just serve and eat. The result was delicious!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Michelle,

No mine wasn't a gift. (I used their layaway program to make it more afffordable.) I use it nearly everyday and I definitely don't regret the expense.

I have a ong history of burning out the motors in blenders and food processors. I even set one on fire. For the amount and type of use I needed the blender/food processor for, a Vita Mix made sense.

As for accomplishing things, I'm a big list maker and that helps a lot. I also include the kids in many of my little projects. It helps too that I love to cook.

I try to do things that are double duty, like my job for example. I'm a fitness instructor so when I go to work, I also work out. I don't have to try and fit exercise into my day.

Thanks for reading!

Harmonia said...

Hi! I'm back blogging. Today was all about tea! I thought I would have more time to post more entries but I am trying to respond to comments first. Had a little problem responding to blogger members earlier today but it seems to be okay now.

Thanks for your note while I was away. I appreciate it!

This recipe looks great!

Katie said...

Thanks Harmonia