Monday, May 15, 2006

Dr. Furhman's Almond Carob Fudge Recipe

I've gotten permission to post Dr. Joel Furhman's Almond Carob Fudge recipe from his book Disease-Proof Your Child. Check out his website diseaseproof.com for a myriad of eye opening information on diet and health. Special thanks to Cindy in Dr. Furhman's customer service department for her prompt response to my email request.

Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup dates
1/4 cup soymilk
1 cup raw almond butter
1/2 cup raw carob powder
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract

Chop dates and soak in soymilk over night to soften. Mash all ingredients together in glass dish. (We employed a potato masher to help with this.) Chill before serving. Serves four.

I must confess, I made one minor change to the recipe. I used vanilla soymilk and omitted the vanilla extract. Vanilla extract is so expensive!

My kids loved this recipe and it held together really well making it perfect for the lunch box. I especially loved that it was a healthy, vegan dessert option.

There's still some debate raging her over Friday's bread experiment. I'll be making another batch or two before I post the recipe.

Happy belated Mother's Day to all the moms who stop by and thanks to all who sent me Mother's Day wishes.

2 comments:

K said...

I love this recipe so much I also posted it on my blog.

Might have to get the book afterall, even though I don't have any kids.

Katie said...

Isn't it just a delightfully simple and delicious recipe? You might want to check the book out from the library first though. About 2/3 of the book is nutrition based, disease prevention info and the last third is recipes. I didn't want you to think it was a traditional cookbook.