Monday, May 22, 2006

Spring Greens

Our CSA had its member orientation on Saturday, as well as a bonus distribution of fresh veggies! What a thrill it was to go home with two bagfuls of fresh greens!

Saturday night, I made a Chinese stir fry. I cut tofu into cubes and marinated it in mixture of tamari, garlic, ginger, white wine vinegar(it really should have been rice wine vinegar but I ran out) and toasted sesame oil. After about an hour I baked the tofu in a 400 degree oven reserving the marinade for later. I baked it about a half hour.

While that was cooking in the oven, I chopped up onions, carrots and bok choy. I stir fried these, adding the bok choy last because it cooks the quickest. I added in some precooked brown rice and poured the remaining marinade over this. I served this with the marinated tofu and Oriental Cilantro Slaw from The Complete Vegetarian Kitchen by Lorna Sass.

On the gardening at home front, all the rain in NY has agreed with my plants. My garbage can potato garden is growing nicely. They took so long to sprout that I wasn't sure they actually would grow at all. The Jerusalem Artichokes are growing beautifully as well. As for the currant bushes, no one told them that they should be in shock from being transplanted. They are just thriving.

No comments: