Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Lingonberries

This past weekend we planted the lingonberries that I ordered earlier in the year. Its part of the edible landscape that we are setting up at our summer getaway.

We've planted the lingonberries just above our rock wall with the blueberry bushes in a row about 4 feet behind them. We're hoping that they will help with erosion as well as provide fruit. The highly acidic soil of the pine forest often leaves us with bare dirt because grass just can't grow in such acidic conditions. On the other hand the blueberries and lingonberries are thrilled with a mulch of pine needles.

I checked on my strawberry patch and it was doing very well also. My chives were returning too. There are currently no signs of life from my basil and mint but I didn't move the mulch around to see what was going on underneath. Perhaps by next weekend I'll see some activity.

At home, the Jerusalem artichokes haven't made a showing yet. I'm wondering if they survived the winter.

No comments: