Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Freezer Diving Isn't for the Fainthearted!

The weather is miserable here in NY but we're keeping warm with some corn muffins I made yesterday. Jim had a hankering for "real" corn muffins so I opted for a recipe from the Simple Treats cookbook. True to their description, they do taste just like the Jiffy muffins of my youth. Jim was tickled. Personally, I like Ruthie's cornbread recipe better but some days you can't compete with nostalgia.

In my freezer diving, I came up with what I thought was frozen parsley, although it did look a little thick. Turns out it was really skinny celery and it didn't taste so good in the tabbouleh I added it to! Lesson learned, let's all say it together. I hereby promise to label EVERYTHING that I put in the freezer! I really mean it this time! A few shakes of real parsley, all right a boatload of real parsley, and the flavor of the tabbouleh was back on track. Making broth may be the only safe way of dealing with the remaining mystery herbs in the freezer.

In a more successful freezer dive, I combined frozen eggplant, chopped fennel (I chop the whole thing - fringy stuff and all), the last of the garlic scapes and a half can of tomato puree (my daughter had used the other half and left this uncovered in the fridge...Grrrr). I also added some red lentils and a bit of water, brought it up to a boil and then let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Before serving I added this vinagrette to it and served it over whole wheat couscous. This was a big hit.

Now I'm off to catch up on laundry and hang out with my kids who have no school. I might try to do a little sewing too.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I would love to see what the inside of your freezer looks like if you'd be willing! I know you've talked about how you organize it before but I guess I'm a visual person.