Monday, March 17, 2008

Are They Bunny Ears?? No, They're Easter Egg Washcloths!



In a spectacular moment of creativity and gall (I mean honestly, who am I to create a knitting pattern??), I created a simple, functional and cute addition to my niece and nephews' Easter gifts. Its an Easter egg shaped washcloth!

I worked it in the round using multicolored cotton yarn. You'll need size 6 and size 8 needles, either double pointed or circulars. Here's the pattern.

Cast on 45 stitches on size 6 double pointed needles or circulars
Divide the stitches so that 15 are on each needle
Knit all rows until you have about 1 1/2 inches
Change to size 8 needles (again either double pointed or circular)
Knit all rows working until your piece is about 3 inches from beginning
Increase 4 stitches on your next row so you wind up with 49 stitches (I did this by knitting 10 and then knitting into the 11th stitch twice.)
Knit all rows until your piece is about 5 inches long. On your next row, you'll begin decreasing.
Knit 5, Knit 2 together, repeat to end of row
Knit the next 3 rows
Knit 4, Knit 2 together, repeat to end of row
Knit the next 3 rows
Knit 3, Knit 2 together, repeat to end of row
Knit the next 3 rows
Knit 2, Knit 2 together, repeat to end of row
Knit the next 3 rows
Knit 1, Knit 2 together, repeat to end of row
Knit the next 3 rows
Knit 2 together, repeat to end of row
Cut yarn leaving about a six inch tail. Using a large needle, thread this through the remaining stitches closing the top of your project. Weave in ends of yarn. That's it, you've made an Easter egg washcloth.

I have made one of the bunny washcloths that I mentioned last week but I needed a really simple pattern while I was crunched up in the bleachers at the swim meet this weekend. I'm planning to give one of each washcloth with some bubble bath to my niece and nephews.



I'll post about our food from the weekend tomorrow. Now get knitting!

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Too cute !!!

The Co-op has knitted Easter eggs (like the pattern you linked to) I thought they'd make good vegan eggs for having an Easter egg hunt. :-)

Ruthie