Thursday, May 22, 2008

Finding Peace In the Madness of It All

Earlier I was running around like a loony trying to get ready to go away. Now I'm sitting here sipping a cup of coffee trying to regroup. The reality is, I'm a down to the wire packing up the car kind of a gal. So why am I trying to fight it? I know I'm leaving late and arriving late no matter what I had planned originally. It's part of the joy of living with four kids and many pets.

So I've decided to try and find the joy in the process of packing rather than continuing to run around like a loony trying to meet an arbitrary deadline. Perhaps my newfound inner peace comes from the yoga class that I had to stop and teach this afternoon. It really helped me come to peace with my task.

The food I cook this weekend will evolve from the staples I bring up. I have vowed not to stress over it. We are getting together to enjoy each others company not to be food critics.

I hope you all find peace and joy in your holiday weekend!

2 comments:

AnnMarie said...

Oh, I don't think I ever told you this. A few years back, you talked a bit about the girl who is part of your family for summers, a fresh air sort of program. I was intrigued because I had no idea this was still around. This past spring, I discovered that there's a similar program in my neck of the woods (NE Wisconsin). It's not good timing for us this summer (we're awaiting a second kid) but we hope to participate in a few more years when our older daughter is the same age as some of the kids who can come. It's actually been going on for decades--at least one family is now hosting the young son of a girl who stayed with them for many years. Just wanted to let you know that I never would have looked twice at the email if I hadn't heard your experience!

Katie said...

That's awesome Annmarie!