Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Darn It!

The humidity has finally let up after some rolicking thunderstorms last night. I don't know what insanity posessed me to garden yesterday but I paid for it all day today. Whenever the weather gets that hot an humid and I spend a long time outside, I wind up with virus-like symptoms. I must be a slow learner though, cause I do it at least once every year. Then again, it might have been the three bean salad I made for dinner last night...

Tonight, I've surrendered my cooking duties to my daughter. She can make whatever she wants as long as it doesn't heat up the house or make me feel worse.

Everything looks so lush after a big rain. Our raspberry patch is once again enormous. The berries aren't ripe yet but the bush is just laden with them. The currants and gooseberries are just beginning to ripen as well. It feels good to be growing some of our own food, even in this limited way. I keep looking at my houseplants thinking, wouldn't it make more sense if these were edible rather than ornamental? That's definitely something to investigate. I think the African violets and ivy are scared.

Darn it! Sometimes you have to. Have to what? Darn socks of course! I've put aside my log cabin blanket to sew up the holes in Jim's socks. It's those steel toed boots he wears for work that ruins them but a few stitches and they're good as new. It's not the most challenging of jobs but it is one that is easily accomplished.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your garden and especially your berry bushes!!

Courtney

Chile said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon, Katie. Herbs can be very pretty grown inside. And I always see those cute little pepper plants with the mini-peppers on them. They would be great for flavoring dishes. The head of our CSA frequently uses tiny amounts of minced jalapeno in cooked dishes as a substitute for black pepper. And, of course, there's the option of dwarf citrus trees. Many of them do fine in containers. Just think of it - you could live in an edible indoor jungle!