Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I'll give it a try...

I don't know if this will last or not but the way I see it, I still have thoughts to share so I'll give it a try. Maybe sharing in this space again will get me moving on some stalled projects.

Since I really haven't been in this space regularly since 2009 I guess there's some updating to be done. We moved in 2011 to Ithaca, NY. You veggie die-hards out there should recognize the name, it's home to the famed Moosewood! It's a dream come true. I get to live in a place where composting is the norm, there are vegetarian options everywhere and everyone knows what a CSA is.

My daughters are now in their 20's and living their own frugal veggie adventures. The boys are teenagers and eat more than I ever imagined possible. Beware mother's of young sons, they eat two dinners every night when they turn 14!!

I'm keeping busy teaching yoga, volunteering, crafting and being mom. That makes it sound like Jim does nothing and he does plenty, I swear. Our house is around 150 years old, so there's never a shortage of projects for him to dabble in.

In food, we've had some changes. We are definitely still vegetarian but I discovered I was gluten intolerant during our move. That was a challenge and I'll happily share more about it another time. In short, it pissed me off. It really pissed me off. No more muffins or breads, no seitan, separate pasta for me, ugh!! However, the discovery led to a lot of positive change that was hard to see the potential for in the beginning. I eat a lot more raw foods and almost no processed foods. I've also made a culinary compromise along the way that you may or may not agree with. I still won't eat dairy but if there's nothing else on a breakfast menu that I can eat, I'll order eggs. I never thought I would but facing down a menu with no gluten free options is life changing. That having been said, Ithaca is super gluten free friendly as well, so I often don't have to make that choice. We even have a waffle shop that has vegan, gluten free waffles. Either way, no judgement please, life is too short to get mired in crap like that.

This past December I participated in a craft fair selling some of my denim quilts and t-shirt rugs. I've got an Etsy shop set up but haven't had the courage to take pictures and put stuff in it, even though its here and ready to go. So I'm still a work in progress. Maybe we'll make some progress together.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Woohoo! I'm so glad you are back. I kept your glod in my reader through two or three moves (of readers, although also in life) just in case you returned!

Katie said...

That's so nice to hear!

Barbara in PDX said...

I hope you keep posting, even if intermittently. I still use some of your recipes and I'm glad you're still around and doing well.

It's too bad about the gluten intolerance. I guess you don't use my ww bread recipe anymore. :(

Post if you can, I know how busy life can be.